Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My Retreat~Perkins Cove

The winter weather woes continue here in Central New York State. We are suppose to get freezing rain and sleet tomorrow night. I hope and pray that the weather report is wrong and that we are spared from this next round of wintry weather.

I am weary from all of this wintry mess. So, I try to cope with the situation by imaging one of my favorite places to visit. Perkins Cove, Maine is one of my special places. This quaint fishing village is located along the shores of the Atlantic Ocean (southern Maine seacoast.) Visitors can see the fishermen coming back with their lobsters and other treasures from the ocean. Sightseers can go to the Cove and take boat rides or participate in deep sea fishing. The Cove also boasts delightful shops and art galleries.

Of course, I love to visit Perkins Cove during the summertime, but it is still an enchanted place during the winter, too. I took the photo "Winter at The Cove" last winter. The sun was just beginning to sink below the horizon when I took this photo. Sunset came early on this winter day along the Maine seacoast, but there was still a warm glow to the sunlight.

So, when the winter days here seem endless, I imagine being here at my special place. I can hear the rhythm of the waves,the smell the salt water and feel the sea breeze through my hair.
"Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think." ~ Robert Henri

3 comments:

Memories Catcher said...

Beautiful view.I like the composition and point of view.Great colors and light.Well done!

talj said...

Oh such a lovely place! I can see why you like it!! I hope the bad weather passes quickly and that summer reaches you soon! :o)

CG said...

I love to be near the sea; it fulfills some need inside me, especially when I'm anxious or low. This lovely and evocative picture is very welcome today.
Take care and I hope the weather is kind to you!