Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sources Of Inspiration


Recently, I have been looking for sources of inspiration for my photography projects. Nature usually provides me with an endless supply of creations to photograph, but it is difficult to find anything during this time of the year.


So, one thing that I like to do is to look around at such things as architecture. I look around familiar places using a creative eye. This creative game is very good for discovering objects that I may have missed in the past.


The above photo was made using this creative game. This photo is call "Guardian and Protector". I rediscovered a beautifully crafted iron gate outside of the local museum in my hometown. Now, I have walk past this very museum many time in my life, but I finally took the time to really look and see the wonderful artistry of this old gate. (The building in which the museum is housed in was built in 1836.)
As these late winter days continue to linger on, I think that I will go out into the city and just look around me. Old buildings, the railroad station, statues, and parks covered in snow could serve as places and objects to photograph. And I am going to remember this quotation by Leslie Grimutter, " Sometimes imagination pounces; mostly it sleeps soundly in the corner, purring. "



6 comments:

talj said...

Inspiration found!! Very nicely done Kathy! Amazing whats around us that we never notice and then one day there it is staring straight at you! :o)

Anna Ridley said...

Bingo! Inspiration. I love this - great composition and tones. Really well seen, Kathy.

I love how you look at the everyday things around us, be it in nature or otherwise, and turn it into a vision of beauty.

xox

Anna said...

I love this shot. Very nice. Sometimes I challenge myself to fing things in my home for so many days....you would love what I can come up with! In my archives go to the September 25th post called Not So Ordinary...let me know what you think of it. It is one of my favorites!

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

That is my problem too, I will walk past tons of stuff that would probably beg to be photographed every day, especially while in London. I regret not spending more time while I was there shooting this sort of stuff, too busy trying to survive I suppose.

Well seen and captured.

Lori

Pat said...

Great post Kathy! And love your photo.

This is exactly what Freeman Patterson is talking about in his book, "Photographing the World Around You" which has been an inspiration to me.

Oops! My "tidy" pile of papers just slid off my desk onto the floor knocking off my bottle of water onto Geordie! HAHAHA! Such is my tidying!

Kaycee said...

Thanks for all of your helpful comments!