Sunday, February 4, 2007

Care Free


Recently, I entered an online photography competition. The theme of the competition was "expressive faces". So, I decided to enter this photo of my niece Ray. Here is the story behind the photograph.
One of my photography-related goals is to learn more about photographing young people. I started by taking an online course last summer through http://www.betterphoto.com/. The instructor was professional photographer Vik Orenstein. She owns and operates studios which specialize in child portraits.
I was nervous about taking a photography co use from a professional photographer, but Vik was helpful and supportive. She provided her students with ideas for creating, editing, and producing photos of young subjects.
I used natural light for the course projects. Ray made and excellent subject. She always has such a natural looking smile. She played in my parents' backyard while I made photographs of her using my 75mm-300mm Canon lens. The late afternoon sun worked so well for this types of photos, especially with the skin tones and backlighting.
My sister prides herself in keeping Ray's long hair very neat, but I love the way her hair falls on her face. It was such a pleasure to take this photo of my niece in an informal environment. The title of the photograph is "Care Free".
I am definitely going to make more portraits using natural light, especially when the warmer weather returns. I would also like to learn more about using flash as well as studio lighting.
My online instructor was pleased with this photo, especially with the backlighting, composition and the way I captured my niece's expression. I just found out that I came in sixth with this photo for the online competition. I am thrilled!

5 comments:

Pat said...

Congratulations, Kathy!

What a great photo of Ray and what a great placing in the competition! I'm so happy for you!

Anna Ridley said...

Congratulations Kathy!

This is a wonderful portrait of Ray, and was a terrific choice for the competition. Well done on your high placing!

x

CG said...

That's a really relaxed and natural photo, Kathy, well done. I love to take photos of my girls but lately they have become so camera-shy it's getting harder and harder :(

Looking forward to seeing more portraits in the months to come.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Congrats Kathy. Children can be so difficult to shoot, ask me I have shot pre-schoolers by the thousands!! The two year olds are the hardest.

This is beautiful shot of a beautiful child.

Kaycee said...

Thanks, everyone! My niece is such a joy to photograph. She isn't shy around the camera! Now I hope that she gets better soon. She has bronchitis.