Monday, February 19, 2007

Signs of the Seasons



I try to appreciate nature's marvelous creations during each season of the year. "In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." (Aristotle) I even manage to discover nature's beauty during the long winter months. This teasel is just one example. I love its different textures against the icy snow. (I took this photo with my trusty Canon point and shoot when I was just beginning to learn about photography.)

The four seasons bring an array of fascinating sights and sounds in the natural world. Here are just a few of my favorites: the sweet smell of rain, fresh berries, mud puddles, glorious shades of autumn leaves, spring wildflowers, the crunch of newly fallen snow, the sound of an approaching thunderstorm and geese visiting a pond.

I am especially appreciative of nature's gifts during these cold and blustery winter days. (It was -6 degrees F this morning.) My photographs help me to remember that there will be brighter days to come soon. And so I remember the sound of the crashing waves along the coast of Maine,the sight of the majestic Adirondack Mountains and walks through a local nature park. I am reminded that spring will come once again.

5 comments:

CG said...

I really like teasels. My mum used to make little hedgehogs in crinolines using the teasel as the face, I loved those!!

We are geting signs of spring here Kathy - although last year it snowed in March!! I hope spring arrives soon for you also.
xxx

talj said...

Everytime CG sees a teasel she says that about hedgehogs lol

Lovely shot Kathy, great DOF :o)

Anna said...

Just spent some time catching up here. I love these recent photos. This one is great. I love the tone on tone of all the neutrals here. Nice shot.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Nice shots posted over the last few days, nice splashes of colors in the flowers, familiar snow drifts LOL, and this last one we have stacks of around here too, didnt know they were called teasels, just wish we had the sun today as well.

Lori

Pat said...

Really lovely, Kathy! This teasel almost looks as if it's "gift wrapped" with curly ribbon!

My mum used to spray paint them with gold and silver paint and some other colours too to put in vases for Christmas.


CG, your hedgehogs sound like a great idea. Maybe you could make one and post it?