Thursday, February 15, 2007

Snowstorm!




A little light, fluffy snow can look so pretty across the winter landscape. Two feet of snow, on the other hand, is just too much! I live in Central New York State and we got hammered with two feet of snow. The snow started to fall on Tuesday night around nine and never stopped until last night at 10pm. You can see the results by viewing the photo to the right. (Please excuse the lack of quality of this photo. It is very difficult to take a photo while standing in a snow bank with the wind howling.)
Why did this area get so much snow? The storm is called a Nor'ester. Moisture from our southern states comes up along the Atlantic coast and brings impressive snow fall totals with it. (Luckily, these storms only occur about one time per winter season.)
Schools and businesses were closed yesterday (and some where still closed today.) It was very difficult for the snow plowing crews to keep up with the snow, so the public was told to stay off of the roads last night.
Now, I have lived in this area all of my life, so I am used to our snowy winters. However, the two feet of freshly fallen snow fell on top of the 15 inches that we received last week. There is just no place to put the snow!
I just over 5 feet tall, so the snow banks look gigantic to me. I had to sit on the phone book in the car this afternoon just so I could see around the snow banks while I was driving.
I am feeling a bit discouraged. I have spent so much time shoveling and digging the car out of the driveway that there hasn't been much time for anything else. I feel like I am living in the pioneer days instead of the 21 century.
So, I am longing for brighter days of spring. It may take until June for all of this snow to finally melt, but I can still have hope.
I hope that everyone is doing well. I am a bit behind in leaving blog messages, but I will get caught up soon. Now I am off to take some aspirin because my whole body hurts from shoveling snow.

6 comments:

CG said...

Wow, Kathy, that is some snowfall!!! I'm really impressed. Wish I could help you with the snow shovelling.
Hugs x

Kaycee said...

Thanks for the offer, CG! I don't have to work today because the schools are closed for the third day in a row because it is snowing again! I may be stuck in the house until April!

Rebecca said...

Oh man! I don't miss that stuff at all! :) This was our FIRST big snow of the winter this year! Can't say that I'm complaining though. But this one was rough. Honestly, we'd rather have two feet of snow than 7 inches of snow, sleet/ice that have fallen and made snow removal a nightmare. I'm so ready for spring too!! :) Well, less than two weeks til March...and then it's nearly spring!

Anna Ridley said...

Oh Kathy, that's an amazing snowfall! I miss snow like that (okay, maybe not QUITE so much! LOL)

Hope you're holding up okay -- it will be spring soon, honest!

xox

talj said...

I have been following the BBC news story about the snow you are having, pretty amazing!!! I love the snow so would give anything to be there but....I am afraid I would have to leave you to the shovelling!

Pat said...

Oh, Kathy! Great pic of your snow. Would love to see it now that you've had more!

Don't dig too much now.