Friday, February 2, 2007

A Little Help From My Photography Friends


I attended a local camera club meeting tonight. We meet twice per month from September through June. One meeting per month is devoted to workshops and the other is reserved for photography competitions.

I enjoy attending the workshops because I always gain new ideas. Tonight's topic was about using histograms and next month's workshop will be about informal portrait photography. In addition, I also have the opportunity to meet and chat with local photographers.

Although I tend to shy away from the competitions, I learn so much from viewing other people's work. For example, I continue to develop my "photographic eye" by viewing the photos and observing the judges critique the photos. This has helped me so much.

The members of my local photography club are helpful and offer supportive suggestions. I worked on the above photo after receiving some tips from a member (who is now the club's president. )

Hopefully, the club will offer more opportunities for members to meet with our cameras at various locations around the area. I know that this would be very beneficial for me.

Do you belong to a local camera club? What kind of experiences have you had with this type of organization?

4 comments:

CG said...

Lovely composition and framing here Kathy. I don't go to a camera club but P does. He enjoys it a lot although things get pretty tense on competition night!! At the moment he goes with a friend but next year, when the girls are older, I may be able to join and go too. If he lets me!! I think he enjoys meeting other photographers a lot. They have some trips out and also an exhibition last year.

Anna Ridley said...

One day I'll join my local club - I just don't seem to have the time (I know - terrible excuse!). They meet every Friday evening, and by the time I get home from work, the last thing I feel like doing is going out again LOL

Kaycee said...

My local photography club meets on Friday nights, too. It is a bit dificult to motivate myself to go after a long work week, but I go when I am able to do so. It is wonderful to meet other photographers.

Pat said...

I wish that there was a camera club in my area but there isn't. One of the best I've been able to attend is in London, Ontario where I've heard Don Martel speak on his workshops in Africa and other fantastic speakers.

I also travelled to Mississauga one night for a Freeman Patterson workshop and that was absolutely wonderful. The time went far too quickly.

Yes, I wish we had a Camera Club in our area.