Monday, February 5, 2007

Proud As A Peacock

It has been a extremely cold and blustery day here in Central New York State. The wind chill temperatures were around -25 degrees F. The snow started to fall, courtesy of Lake Ontario. So, now we have blowing and drifting snow.

I didn't have to work today because the schools were closed due to the weather. So, I stayed in and worked on photography projects. One of these projects involved photographing a peacock feather. (I actually purchased the feathers at the local grocery store.) I used my Canon 60mm lens and a tripod, of course. The photo was made using natural window light.

I am drawn to objects that are rich in colors. (This may be because the only color I see outside my window now are painted in shades of gray.) As the photographer William Albert Allard said, "In my photography, color and composition are inseparable. I see in color."

The Master painter certainly has certainly given us an incredible palette from which to choose from in nature: robin's egg blue, rose bud pink, delicate lavender, and buttery yellow-just to name a few. I find myself turning to this palette again and again, especially on bleak winter days that are dressed in shades of gray.

4 comments:

Anna Ridley said...

Beautiful work Kathy! You captured the lovely play of light on the feather and its iridescent sheen. What a wonderful way to brighten up a stormy day!

Keep warm!

x

CG said...

i like the way you have filled the frame with your subject, Kathy :)

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Wow that is really beautiful! I am really enjoying all your photographs here... especially the flowers. I love the way you see color. Thanks for visiting my blog too! I always love meeting another librarian.

Kaycee said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!