Saturday, February 10, 2007

Winter Rose


I was able to spend some time experimenting with my camera today. My goal was to work with the camera's setting in order to create an image that showed creativity and effort.

Here is the photo from today's photo shoot that I liked the best. I used a dried rose against a black foam core board background. I used my tripod and natural window light. I shot in RAW and the ISO was set at 100. My 60mm lens was used for this shot. I experimented with the aperture today and was able to make an image using f 32 with a shutter speed of 30 sec.

I was pleased with the results. I think that setting the camera at f32 (with a slower shutter speed) made a big difference. The image of the rose really seems to "pop".

Now I am definitely going to make other photos with the aperture around f32. I hope that similar photos will also stand out. Photography truly enables us to pay close attention to details while creating memories. So now I have a memory of making this rose image on a cold day in February, even if I cannot go outdoors and enjoy walking in a rose garden. The author J.M. Barrie wrote, "God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December. " (We can also have roses in February thanks to the photographic process!)

3 comments:

Anna Ridley said...

A stunning image, Kathy - beautifully creative. Setting the aperture at f/32 really worked a treat; it provides so much detail to this shot.

Looking forward to your next photos using f/32!

x

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

It is amazing what can be achieved with the smaller appertures. Ansell Adams if I remember correctly started the f64 Club where all the landscapes etc. that they shot were at f64 and you sure can see it in his photos. Of course he probably shot them with large format cameras 8x10 plates LOL! You achieve amazing depth in the shots. This rose looks beautiful it almost looks as if the shot has been textured, hope that makes sense. Lovely.

You are starting to make me want to experiment a bit and stop moaning about the lousy weather LOL.

CG said...

I too spent time experimenting with shutter speed and aperture today! it was really interesting.

This image is really striking. My only comment would be the background looks mottled, at least on my monitor. I don't know if you can fix this using editing but imagine you could.