Monday, February 26, 2007

My New York


I am really thankful that I had the opportunity to visit New York City once again with my friend Mare. I try to visit The Big Apple at least several times per year. There is always so much to do there: shopping, sightseeing, visiting museums and attending Broadway plays and baseball games. And it is so much fun to visit the City with a dear friend.
Our journeys to The Big Apple begin here in Central New York State. I have always lived in this part of New York State, and it is very different from New York City in many ways. Much of my state is dotted with small cities between several larger ones. We are surrounded by natural resources and farm land. The beautiful Adirondack Mountains are just to our north. Utica, the small city where I live, is in the scenic Mohawk Valley. We are fortunate to have many lakes in the area, too.
Usually, I travel to New York City on the train. I love taking the train because the ride is usually a relaxing one. I look out of the window and see the farm land and small towns. We usually pick up more passagers in Albany, the capital city of New York State. The train ride from Albany to New York City takes about two and a half hours. The train runs along the banks of the Hudson River. Last Saturday, the Hudson River was frozen near Albany. The waters were flowing the closer we got to The Big Apple. The train stops at several small towns along the Hudson River.
The train roars into New York City's Penn Station after I have been on the train for about four and a half hours. Penn Station reminds me of a city within a city. There are many stores and restaurants there. Madison Square Garden, a sports complex, is just above the station. And the station is usually bustling with people. The Big Apple, of course, is alive with the rhythm of the city and its diverse people.
After a quick ride on the escalator, it is time to explore the city once again. And there are always so many landmarks to see: The Empire State Building, The New York Public Library lions, Times Square, Central Park, and Rockefeller Center. (The photo above is Rockefeller Center.) Time to explore! (It was wonderful to be able to walk the streets of New York City last Saturday because they did not have any snow, slush, or ice there at all!)
I certainly enjoy my visits to New York City, but I really won't want to live there. I would miss seeing the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains, summer days spent at the local lakes, and the countryside.

2 comments:

CG said...

Your wonderful description brought back to my mind many of the reasons that I love New York so much!! i hadn't realised your train journey was quite so long! It doesn't take that much longer to fly to NYC from here if you take out the waiting times at the airport.

We plan to take the girls to NYC some time in the future and hopefully we can meet up again then.

I like your photo. I love the way the trees and flagpoles complement one another; the brilliance of the flags against the sombre clothes of the pedestrians and the grey of the buildings and the touch of gold from the leaves on the trees.

talj said...

Lovely shot Kathy and a really interesting read of how you get to this beautiful place!! :o)