Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Ray of Beauty


I have had a difficult week due in large part to the snowstorm. We have received 35 inches of snow here in Central New York State since Wednesday. The Valentine's Day storm was due to a nor'easter that came up from the southern states. The rest of the snow on Friday was courtesy of the Lake Ontario snow machine.
So, I spent a lot of time digging through the snow. I have my driveway plowed, but the steps and sidewalks still need to be cleared. Now, there is now where to put the snow. I have a snow mountain in my front yard and I am waiting for an avalanche!
Driving is such an adventure, too. I am only 5 feet tall and there is no way that I can see around the corners due to the gigantic snow banks. The streets are so narrow now due to the snow banks, so some streets are one way now. And, it took a long time to get the snow cleared from the streets.
The good news is that the sun made an appearance today and the temperature was 32 degrees F (0 degrees C). This helped to melt a little bit of the snow and ice. The roads were clear for the first time in days (but the snow banks remain.)
I ventured out to the local stores today. (Of course, all of the stores were very busy because other people were out and about, too.) I wanted to purchase some flowers so that I could take some photos this afternoon, but I didn't have a great selection from which to choose from at the floral shop. The selection was limited because Valentine's Day was this week and because the shop wasn't restocked due to the snowstorm. So, I ended up with a small pot of tulips.
Fortunately, I had enough natural light to work with this afternoon. I used some blue fabric for the background because I liked the contrast with the tulip colors. The aperture was set at f25 this time. I tried experimenting with the composition, too.
It was wonderful to see these gorgeous tulips when all I see are mountains of snow outside of my window. Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, "Flowers... are a proud assertion that a ray of beauty outvalues all the utilities of the world." And indeed, these beauties made me forget about shovels, snow banks, and lake effect snow.

4 comments:

Anna Ridley said...

I'm so glad the sun came out, and that some of that snow melted! I remember snowbanks like that well.

I love your tulip photograph - very elegant. The composition and tight crop work very well, as does that lovely blue background - it complements the red tulip wonderfully.

Keep your chin up - maybe more will melt soon!

xox

CG said...

Snap! I was photographing tulips too. The blue BG works well. I have a blue tablecloth I may try using as a backdrop. There are so many ways to photograph a tulip and I really like your approach.

Take care in the snow xxxx

Natalya said...

Beautiful colours and composition Kathy. So sorry to hear you are having all that trouble, as much as I would love to have your snow I don't think I could cope with digging myself out of it!! {{{HUGS}}}

Pat said...

Kathy, we didn't get as much snow as you but we sure have been doing a lot of digging.

Can you get some photos of the snow in your driveway? I'd love to see it.

Yes, so glad that the sun came out. When's the next snow storm!?