Friday, February 9, 2007

Let the Music Play, Let the Inspiration Begin


I often listen to music in order to find inspiration for my photography work. One of my favorite classical pieces is Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel. This piece is so soothing and reminds me of a lullaby.
I created "Glorious Trio after listening to this masterpiece. The simplicity of the calla lilies reminded me of this classical piece. The flowers are regal in nature and their soft pastel colors reflect nature's amazing hues. Canon in D is the perfect piece to listen to while viewing "Glorious Trio".
Here is a link to hear Canon in D. http://www.jasononline.com/music/canon.mid
I photographed these calla lilies inside using natural light. I used black foam core board for the background. I really enjoyed arranging the flowers and working with the natural light.
Now, I would like to make more photographs using music as my inspirational starting point. There are so many possibilities! "Music cleanses the understanding; inspires it, and lifts it into a realm which it would not reach if it were left to itself. " (Henry Ward Beecher)
Do you listen to music to gain inspiration for your photography work? It would be wonderful to know what kind of music other photographers find inspirational.

3 comments:

Anna Ridley said...

Pachelbel's Canon in D is one of my favourite pieces of all time - it gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it when I was very little. We had it played in the church at our wedding.

Glorious Trio is one of my favourites of yours - the lighting is wonderful and you composed the image so well. It conveys elegance and serenity so simply and effectively.

I don't actually listen to music to gain inspiration for my photography, but it is a wonderful idea. I think I'm going to have to give it a try!

CG said...

This is one of my favourites too.I love the way it builds so gradually, so gently, until almost without you realising it you have reached a glorious pinnacle - and then you softly descend. I have so enjoyed listening to the music whilst looking at your elegant lilies.It has been a real oasis of peace on a busy family Saturday!

Kathy, visiting your blog is a treat I look forward to every day. There is so much I am learning about you and you always give me something to think on throughout the day.

It's a privilege to get a glimpse into the lives of the people whose blogs I visit regularily and has become an important part of my day.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Kathy this is beautiful, you have so much talent and such a great sense of curiosity which makes your photos wonderful. You are not scared to experiment and it shows. I havent listened to the music but I will. I love classical music but unfortunately all of my CDs are still sitting in storage in England and I probably wont ever see them again. My favorite is Claire De Lune by Claude BeBussey (you will have to forgive the spelling).

Beautiful lillies.

Lori