Saturday, March 17, 2007

Irish Heritage



Happy St. Patrick's Day! This is one of those days when I have the opportunity to remember my Irish heritage. I like to do genealogical research on my family history, including my Irish ancestors.

My maternal grandfather's ancestors were Irish. My great-great grandfather was John Charles Hanley. He was born in County Meath around 1820. He came to America during the Irish Potato Famine and settled just outside of Syracuse, NY. He and his wife had a very large family, including my great-grandmother, Ester Hanley Brown.

Ester Hanley Brown was my great-grandmother. My mother has very fond memories of her Irish grandmother. I have had the pleasure of learning more about her and my Irish roots through my genealogy work.

My Mom has kept our Irish heritage alive. She gave three of her six children Irish names. My real name is Kathleen and my youngest brother's name is Patrick. My brother Rob's full name is Robert Hanley. It seems that my Mom wanted some Irish names to go along with our big, long Italian surname!

I also have Italian and English ancestors, but that will have to wait for other blog posts! And so I will leave you with an Irish blessing:

Irish Blessing

"May the road rise to meet you,

may the wind be always at your back,

may the sun shine warm upon your face,

the rains fall soft upon your fields and,

until we meet again may God hold you in the palm of His hand."

4 comments:

Anna Ridley said...

"Kiss me, I'm Irish!" I remember having a badge that proclaimed that when I was small. I have such fond memories of watching the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade in Montreal, either lined up on St. Catherine Street itself, or from my grandmother's apartment window one floor up.

I too have some Irish heritage - the McInerneys gave me my Irish blood. Mary Ann McInerney was my great-great-grandmother :)

Hope you enjoyed St. Patrick's Day!

xoxoxox

Pat said...

Nice pic Kathy!

Well, guess I kissed an Irishman every day of my married life if we weren't away on some trip or another alone without each other! ;)

And I lived in Ireland too.

CG said...

I don't think I have any Irish in me that i know about...how wonderful to know so much about your heritage.

Irish and Italian is a great combination, Kathy.
xxxx

When times were easier said...

It was a pleasure to read about what I call your Irishness. I too
am of Irish heritage, I am first
generation Irish-American as my Dad
was born on Co. Mayo. My Dad would
always instill in my brothers and I
what it meant to be Irish. When I
was a boy he taught me how to bless
myself in Irish I have taught my
children and now I have taught my
grandchildren. It is great to keep
my Irish heritage alive. I'm glad
you are doing likewise.
John Scanlon