Friday, March 2, 2007

Informal Potrait Photography



I attended my local camera club meeting this evening. Our speaker was a local photographer who owns his own portrait studio. He brought all of his photography equipment, including the lighting. It was very exciting to see him demonstrate how he takes studio portraits.

Our club was fortunate to see this photographer in action. We learned so many valuable tips. He showed us just how important it is to know the different ways to pose the subjects in a potrait. The club members acted as his models and we were able see the creative ways he composes his potraits.

In addition, he showed us how he uses his lighting equipment. Light is everything in photography, whether it is natural or studio lighting. It was so helpful to see him work with the lighting equipment. "Light is the signature of every good photographer." (Bill Hurther, Editor of Rangefinder Magazine).

I enjoy taking informal potraits of my nieces and nephews using natural light. Today's photo is one I took of my niece Rachel last spring. I used the available window light (to her right). She is such a natural model. I really enjoy taking photos of her and she is so patient with me!

It was wonderful to be able to get out in order attend the camera club meeting. We had a horrible winter storm here early this morning, complete with freezing rain, sleet, snow, and rain. It all turned into a slick coating of ice. The wind was so fierce this morning. I thought that we were going to lose more tree limbs. Luckily, the power did not go out. I am ready for some calm, peaceful spring weather!

I hope that all of you have a fantastic weekend!

6 comments:

Anna Ridley said...

I love this portrait of your niece; she's a natural in front of the camera, and you photographed her so well.

Reading about you and the camera club you so enjoy is motivating me to join my local club. They meet every Friday, and I have to pluck up my courage and GO!

Have a great weekend {{{HUGS}}}

talj said...

What a beautiful portrait! It must be great to get out to the club and learn from people who really know about lighting setups and things! :o)

Hope you have a lovely weekend :o)

CG said...

She's lovely; look at those eyes!!

The camera club sounds great. P really enjoys his. i'm hoping to go along next season, when the girls are old enough to be left for a couple of hours of an evening.

CG said...

She's lovely; look at those eyes!!

The camera club sounds great. P really enjoys his. i'm hoping to go along next season, when the girls are old enough to be left for a couple of hours of an evening.

carmilevy said...

I'm always touched by the generosity of artists who willingly donate their time, expertise and souls so that others may improve their mastery of the craft.

This picture is beautiful as well, and proves that you clearly have applied the lessons of light that you learned from this generous soul.

Kaycee said...

Thank you for all of your kind comments! Carmi is right! Our photography club was very fortunate to have a photographer that was will to share his time and talent. (He was very humorous, too!)