Wednesday, January 31, 2007

In The Words Of A Child



It has been a difficult week for me, mainly because of my car repair woes. So, I haven't been in the best of moods lately. However, one of my students at school gave me the best gift today.

We had an assembly at the school were I work as a librarian. The children and school staff had gathered to see a presentation about character education and respect.

The presentation leader called a group of children up to the front of the assembly. He asked them to tell the audience about teachers who had taught them about respect. One of the fifth grade students said, "Our Librarian taught me that if you show love that others will love you back."

I had tears in my eyes as I listened to her speak before almost 500 children as well as the school faculty. Her thoughts were spontaneous and not rehearsed. I was so honored to think that she had chosen me!

I have worked with this child for six years in the Library. She is also part of my after school club that learns about digital photography. She really enjoys learning about photography and is the family photography at her house.

So, I am posting this photo of my niece and the dandelions in honor of my student as well as all those who bring joy into my life. And I am reminded of the following inspirational quote, "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child." ~Forest E. Witcraft

3 comments:

CG said...

I am so pleased for you; I'm sure that tribute is well deserved Kathy.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

What a wonderfu tribute, I wouldnt have just had tears in my eyes I would have been bawling LOL. I used to shoot school portraiture a lot of it in London England, and I saw so much delinquency and disrespect that I was sometimes scared to be there even with the teachers present and am actually very despondent about our youth, so this was a very nice thing to read today, gave me hope that our next generation will make it after all.

Sorry about the car woes, I have them now too :-(

Pat said...

Kathy, what a lovely honour. I'm so happy for you.

And to think that you and I had car woes at the same time. Glad you got your straightened away.

This little pic I remember seeing before and it's so touching and as Lori has said, I would have been bawling too if I had been in your position at the school.

Congratulations my dear friend.

xxxxxxx