Saturday, January 13, 2007

An Apple For The Teacher; Practice For The Student


Today I decided to try some indoor photography using halogen lamps. I purchased two desk lamps with halogen bulbs at a local department store. (Thanks for the tip, AB!) I positioned the lamps on either side of the apple, and adjusted them as needed. I used an off-white background.
I used my tripod and the following camera settings: 1/100 sec., f7.1, ISO 400.
This was certainly an experiment! I repositioned these goose-neck style lamps many times. I finally decided that this would be my practice photo. I am definitely going to retake this photo and I have several options to try:
1) I may purchase a third desk lamp and place it in front of the apple in order to avoid the shadows.
2) I will shot the apple and leave a little more space on the right hand side.
3) I will continue to work with the lamps so that the highlights will look appealing.
4) I will photograph 3 apples and vary the composition.
My photo session today reminded me to have fun with the camera and not to give up. The beauty of this style of indoor photography using a digital camera is that I can always go back and redo it. "No one is perfect... that's why pencils have erasers. " (Anonymous) I will continue to use my "photographic erasers" and keep practising!
Thank you, my teachers, for reading my blog and commenting on my photos. Your support means so much to me! Here's an apple for you!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks Kathy for this indepth description of how you made the apple photo.

I have one lamp like you describe. Guess I'll have to get some more!

Actually I like the shadows. It's nice to see the one on the surface that the apple is sitting on.

Anna Ridley said...

I'm so glad you're trying this out, Kathy - I know we've talked about indoor photographs before. I really enjoy my little "studio" in my spare room, and it gives me the ability to get photos taken even on the grimmest and dullest of days.

Keep experimenting, and have fun!

CG said...

What a wonderfully shiny apple!!
Good luck with this project :)

Kaycee said...

Thanks for your comments on my "work in progress". I am certainly going to continue to experiment with this type of indoor photography! We are suppose to get an ice storm, so I won't be leaving the house!