Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Weathering Winter


It is almost the end of January, and I am trying to find something positive to say about winter. Our winters here in the middle of New York State can be long and cold. It isn't unusual for the snow to begin to fly at the end of October or the beginning of November. And sometimes we don't have any signs of spring until the beginning of May.
I really did love the snow when I was a child. The falling snow reminded me of one of those magical snow globes. I used to spend time with my brother and sister just playing in the snow. We used to go sledding in the nearby field, build snow forts and go ice skating.
But then I grew up. Now I have to drive on snowy and icy roads and that scares me. I have to shovel the white stuff and worry about if my car will start if I leave it in the parking lot all day.
I should get out more and take photographs of the snowy landscape. I posted an ordinary shot of an old piece of farm machinery in a snowy field. However, it is usually just too cold or slippery to go out with a camera here. (The high temperature on Friday is only suppose to be -12 degrees C. The wind chill will make it feel even colder.)
And so I take comfort in the words of the American poet Anne Bradstreet, "If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. "

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! I have a question. I want to include this kind of archive show in my blog. Can you teach me how do you do this?

Kaycee said...

Hola,felipe!

It is easy to add photos to your blog. Click on New Post. Look for the "Add Image" button (top right hand side of the tool bar. It is between the spell check and eraser.) This will let you add a photo. Then, click on the browse button. You can then add photos that you have take and stored on your computer. You can then choose a layout (put the photo on the left hand-side, center, or right-hand side. Finally, click on "upload image" and your photo should be added to your blog.
I enjoy taking photos, posting them in my blog and writing about them.
I hope this helps!

Anna Ridley said...

I actually miss winters like this, strange as it may seem. Winter here in the UK is a dark, damp and rainy affair. I think that the snow brightens things up so much. When I first moved here from Montreal, I commented that the nights seemed so much darker in Sunderland - it's because there was no snow on the ground to reflect the light!

The quote you end your post with is so true; our enjoyment of something is often enhanced by the not-so-enjoyable time that went before. Winter and spring are no exceptions to this.

CG said...

I don't think you'd like the winters here kathy. As AB says they can be very gloomy and certainly don't present the same photo ops. I like your compsition here very much.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

I like the way you hae used the machine to fill a bit of the negative space in the shot and add a bit of interest to it and color. Very nice.