Monday, January 22, 2007

Focusing On Color



I recently received a quilting supply catalog in the mail. (Yes, the catalog was sent through the regular post!) The quilt store owner always writes a brief article in the front of her catalogs. In this catalog, she asked this very thought provoking question, "If you were a color, what color would you be?"

This is a good question to ask photographers, too. I have to say that my first response to this question was the color purple. There are so many different shades of this color: lilacs that bloom in June, delicious grapes, a Tanzanite ring, purple mums, and the purplish hues painted across the sky.

So, I am not surprised when this royal color appears in my photos. Here is one of the first photos that I took with my Canon point-and-shoot camera. The title is "Purple Rain".




Wouldn't it be fun to take a series of photos that focus on specific colors? I would like to try to do such a project. And nature offers us such a rich color palette to work with. Ralph Waldo Emerson described it best when he wrote, "Nature always wears the colors of the spirit."

And now I would like to ask you the same question, If you were a color, what color would you be?




5 comments:

Pat said...

I think that might be a neat project, Kathy.

Remembering eospete was starting to do one on white? He had about 60 photos of various items all done in many shades of white. I thought that was a neat idea.

I really like you photo and the title is superb.

Anna Ridley said...

Another great thought-provoking post, Kathy! I always look forward to your blog entries.

Hmmm, if I had to be a colour, I think I would be a creamy, buttery yellow-white, as white is the colour of purification, protection, peace, innocence, truth, wisdom and sincerity, while yellow represents
intellect, inspiration, comfort, love, joy, inspiration and confidence.

A bit of a long list, but things that are all important to me.

Thank you for making me think about this!

CG said...

i think I'd be blue. It's my favourite colour and it represents to me many of things I aspire to be.

There are two photos I've taken that are both blue but very different and I'll post them in my blog for you today.

A beautiful flower picture which is a pleasure to look at.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Pinks/Light Purples are my favorite colors!! This is great, love the water droplets.

This would be an interesting project but hmmmm how can I adapt my horsy world to accomodate pink!!! I have been threatening my husband that I am going to buy my horse a pink bridle, reins and a western saddle with a pink pad and pink seat LOL. My eyes always gravitate towards something that is pink if I walk into a clothing or material shop. I wonder why that is because I am not the most "feminine" person, I spend my life in jeans and T shirts, insulated overalls and boots! If anyone can give me some insight into why this would be my preference I would appreciate it.

Great post and shot.

Kaycee said...

I am still thinking about the color question! Pat, I do remember eospete's project. AB, I think that photographing white objects would be a very good project. It would be challenging to be sure that the exposure was just right.

CG, I like the color blue, too. I especially love the different shades found in the sky as well as the color of my sweetheart's eyes.

Lori, I can identify with you. I am a librarian, but I like going to the gym and lifting weights - real opposite images!

Everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my entries and post here!