Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Child Learns About The Joys Of Photography

I really enjoy helping kids learn more about photography. Kay, my eight-year-old niece, is showing a keen interest in learning more about photography basics. She is such a natural with such things as composition and beautiful color selections.

Kay loves to follow me around when I am out and about with my camera. She spots objects that I miss. (This child actually spotted a garden snake and insisted that we take its picture!) Over time, she has proven to be a very helpful photography assistant.

Family members gave Kay a inexpensive film camera for kids, but we found that it wasn't the best way for her to learn photography basics. She became discouraged because she couldn't take as many photos as she liked and have them processed, too.

So, she uses my trusty Canon digital point-and-shoot camera. We save the ones she wants, and I get them printed out for her.

I also let her use my Canon DSLR(Rebel) camera, once in a while. (I help her by setting the correct ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.) I am right next to this budding photographer, of course. I was so proud of Kay when she created this portrait of her cousin Rachel. (Photo above.) I may have helped with the camera settings, but Kay was able to get this wonderful expression from her cousin. I know that I will cherish this photograph!

I know that it will be exciting to see Kay continue to learn about
the art of photography. (Photo of Kay below.) The important thing is that she enjoys
using the camera as a creative tool. I am reminded of one of my
favorite quotations by the Spanish artist Pablo Picasso, "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."

3 comments:

CG said...

What lovely photos of Kay! I like how you are encouraging her to take photos and experiment. I wish my two were more interested!

Kaycee said...

Kay loves to take photos. She always says, "Did you bring the camera for me to use?" I can't wait until she is older so that I can get her a digital camera of her own.

Pat said...

So precious.

I remember Rebecca being out for the first time taking pictures. She felt so important I'm sure using a real camera.