Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Waiting...

My wonderful niece K (who is very wise for her eight years) recently asked my why I "make" so many photos. I naturally explained that I take so many photos so that I can practice. However, her question proved to be a thought-provoking one which has prompted me to dig a little deeper. This blog has given me opportunities to explore the creative process and hopefully discover the inspirational factors behind the photographs.

Photography has enabled me to capture the beauty of each season. Today, winter's snowy bands of lake effect snow returned in full force. And while we all know just how much I love to drive through and shovel the white flakes, it did create a quiet winter scene. I took this photo of my neighbor's Adirondack chair. I like the contrasts in this photo: an Adirondack chair (a symbol of summer in this part of the country) covered with snow as well as the contrasting colors of red, green and white.

This simple chair seemed to whisper one word to me: "waiting". I am waiting to see just how much more snow we will receive tonight and tomorrow. Perhaps I am waiting for the splendor of spring to return as winter finally fades away. And I am definately waiting for the chance to create more summer memories.

And so I am able to appreciate God's handiwork through the camera's creative lens. This is one of the most important reasons why I "make" so many photographs. Whether I entralled by the glory of a crisp fall day, the beauty of a perfect spring flower, or a summer sunset, I am filled with gratitude for opportunities to capture such images using my camera. I am reminded of a passage from the Bible: "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

I will try to enjoy this winter by taking photographs. I am going to practice getting the right exposure terms of the snow. (I actually overexposed this photo so that the snow would not look grey. I also hoped to keep some of the details of the snow.)

And I will continue to ponder why I "make" photographs.




4 comments:

CG said...

I don't know if you remember how we once chatted about how much I like aidirondack furniture but i really really like this composition. I also enjoyed your moving and very lyrical writing underneath - it really made me think.
Am looking forward to seeing more of your photos in due course :)

Anna Ridley said...

I love the contrasts and feel of this photo. I feel the chill of winter and the promise of warmer weather to come all at once :)

Pat said...

Hi CG!!! So good to see your posts.


Kaycee, what a great entry! I love adirondack furniture as well and have two chairs outside that Jack made just like your chair.

I must ponder more too on why I "make" photos!

I'm so happy you started this blog!

Kaycee said...

Patz, AB, and CG, it is wonderful to see your posts!

CG, I remember our conversation about Adirondack funiture very well! The furniture reminds me just how much I love the Adirondack Mountains.

Patz, it must be wonderful to have the Adirondack chairs that your dear Jack built! Did you and Jack hike in the Adirondacks?

AB, winter is finally here in NY State. Hopefully, I will be able to take some winter photos in the the Adirondack Mountains. (We call this area the North Country.)