Thursday, January 18, 2007

Twilight On Twin Ponds

I have to say that I have really been enjoying the process of creating as well as writing in my blog. My blog has given me the opportunity to write about the creative aspects of photography. I have also been inspired to take and post at least one new photo per week. (I have actually posted more than one new photo during the past week!)

In addition, I have been going back and looking at some of my photos. I vividly remember shooting "Twilight At Twin Ponds" with my Canon point-and-shoot camera. It was taken in November 2004. The leaves had been raked away, but the snow had not yet fallen here in Central New York. It was such a clear day and I just knew that the sunset would be breathtaking. Fortunately, I was not disappointed when I reached the local ponds. The ducks and geese were gathered there. My camera and equipment was set up just as the sun was sinking below the horizon. The sun's last rays were shining just over my shoulders when this gorgeous scene appeared in my view finder.

I knew then that I had to learn more about the art of photography. I began to appreciate the beauty of natural light. As the American poet Walt Whitman once wrote, "Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. "

The magic of photography has also given me an appreciation of nature. I have learned to really "see" those natural things that I had always taken for granted: frost on leaves, morning dew, flower buds just waiting to open, reflections on a pond, and awe-inspiring sunsets. "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. " (Albert Einstein)

4 comments:

Anna Ridley said...

Your photography always soothes and inspires, and your calm and flowing writing style accompanies it beautifully.

I could feel myself becoming so tranquil just gazing at this photo; the colours are magical.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Lovely colors, water is always so soothing, and I need to relax so this has helped me today. Hope you had a bit of food for the ducks, they look hungry LOL.

CG said...

I remember this photo too. I think once you become a photographer, however amateur, you really do look at everything around you in a different way.

Kaycee said...

Most of the time, this pond seems so ordinary. The setting sun did bring out the magical colors. Local residents can also be found feeding the ducks when the sun is sinking below the horizon on an autumn day.

Thank you, AB, Lori, and CG, for reading my musings and replying here!