Thursday, January 11, 2007

Expressions In Light


One of the very first basic lessons about photography that I learned was about the quality and beauty of natural light. At first, I made mistakes by going out with my point-and-shoot digital camera when the sun was high in the sky. My first photographs were washed with too much light and lost their rich colors.

Fortunately, I learned the sunrise/sunset rule for outdoor photography. This made all of the difference. And what glorious colors are painted across the sky in the wee morning hours and again just before the sun dips below the horizon!

The sunset photo above is one that I took recently at beautiful Skaneatles Lake. This like is in my native Finger Lakes region of Central New York State. I took this photo just before the snow returned to the region. (I intend to somehow clone out the bench in the foreground.) Hopefully, I will return to the charming village of Skaneatles with my camera soon. This quaint town boasts many fine shops, restaurants, and historic homes.

The beauty of natural light is unmatched and its glorious rays always take my breath away. Photography and digital photo editing allow me to "paint with light". As the French artist Henri Matisse wrote, "A picture must possess a real power to generate light and for a long time now I've been conscious of expressing myself through light or rather in light."

5 comments:

CG said...

k, I like the bench!! it gives the scene an air of waiting for someone to come and enjoy it! or a sort of bittersweet feeling that all that beauty should be enjoyed but for now, the bench is empty!

It means a lot to me to be able to see your photos like this and read your meditations on photography too :)

Anna Ridley said...

Beautiful photograph, simply oozing tranquility and serenity. I too like the bench; it seems to be beckoning for someone to stop, sit, and spend a while.

I am so enjoying your blog and your thoughts on photography and your processes - simply wonderful!

x

Kaycee said...

It is very good to get your perspective on my photos, CG and AB. Sometimes I look at a photo so much that I can't decide what to do or not to do in the editing process.

Thanks again for reading my blog. I am having such a great time adding photos and journal entries!

Pat said...

What a wonderful image, Kathy! The bench is inviting me to have a seat and these days when I walk, I'm always looking for a seat! lol

Keep up the great entries! They are wonderful to read.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

I love a good sunset pic and the reflection and bench are great. Nice serene, calm time of day. Gives you a nice relaxed feeling.