Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Thing Of Beauty


It has been a very cold and blustery day here in Central New York State. I have spend some time indoors this evening just looking at some of my favorite photographs.
"Gerber Daisy I" is one of my favorites because I remember the success I felt after I took this photo with my Canon digital point-and-shoot camera in 2005. It was the first time that I tried using two halogen shop lamps for lighting. I had to do a lot of experimenting to get the lighting right. I had my camera on a tripod, of course.
I felt that I was learning how to use the camera in an artistic way. In addition, I was learning to use the camera's controls.
Now, I can see some improvements that I could make. I would be sure that the flower petals toward the front were a bit sharper while shining some light toward the outer petals.
I enjoy making floral photos using natural indoor light or halogen lighting. I realize that some photographers do not care for this type of photography. However, I believe that each flower is a tiny miracle. The British poet John Keats wrote, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness. "
As photographers, we can use our tools to showcase these small treasures. I know that I will continue to make floral photos, whether I shoot them inside using window light, through the use of halogen lighting or in nature.

4 comments:

CG said...

It was a real breakthrough for me when I FINALLY started to use a tripod. I took some flower pics last night using artifical lighting. Have not had a chance to look at them yet.

This is a shot to be proud of. I love these photgenic flowers x

Anna Ridley said...

I love taking flower photographs, and most often do so indoors using two poseable desk lamps. This is a beautiful shot, definitely one to be proud of!

x

Kaycee said...

Thanks for the kind comments, CG and AB!

I look forward to seing your flower photos, CG. I bet they are beautiful!

AB, I always admire your floral photos!

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

This is beautiful and definitely one to be proud of. Most of my flower shots, in fact now that I think about it, all of my flower shots have been shot in situ where they grow!! It is amazing how many colorful weeds we have around here too.

I like your shot just the way it is, beautiful.