Friday, January 19, 2007

The Arts Are Alive And Well


Fortunately, I live in a community which values the Arts. There are many artistic and cultural events throughout the year: concerts and plays at our beautifully restored Stanley Theater, cultural events on Monday nights during the summer, numerous photography exhibitions as well as the annual Sidewalk Arts Festival (see the above photo.)

Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute is a valuable assest to local residents. (www.mwpai.org ) The Institute has the responsibility of maintaining the Museum of Art as well as offering various performing arts events. ( I enjoy going to the Museum of Art in order to be inspired by the different works of art displayed there.)

The Institute's School of Art offers colleges course (Pratt Institute) as well as community art education courses. I have taken several digital photography courses through the community art education division and I enjoyed participating in each one of them. (I will write more about the digital photography courses in my next entry.)

The School of Art also offers courses in drawing, painting, quilting, pottery, dance, jewerly/metal arts and paper/printmaking. I would love to have the time to take the jewelry/metal arts course as well as the paper/printmaking class. (I may have to wait years until I retire to be able to take more classes!)

I believe that the Arts are such an enriching part of life. As photographers, we can seek inspiration by learning about and appreciating other artistic forms. As Pablo Picasso said, "The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. "

4 comments:

Anna Ridley said...

It's wonderful to be a part of a community that realizes the importance of the arts and runs courses and activities to involve the public.

I love the quote from Picasso - how true it is!

Pat said...

Good Morning Kathy!

I'm just about to leave for a workshop that will last until mid-afternoon here in Guelph on our neighbourhood group and some of the items on the agenda are the arts in our area, concerts, etc.

There will be some photographic opportunities during the rest of the year as well so hopefully I'll be able to catch some of those.

Thanks for that Picasso quote! "The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls." How true that is.

Kaycee said...

I hope that my community continues to provide such artistic and culteral offerings in the future. The Arts always seem to suffer whenever there are bugetary constraints.

Pat and AB, you know how much I love quotations!

Jazzi said...

Hey Kaycee,
It was really random coming across this as I was just searching for art quotes for my dissertation, however I've been considering moving to New York and going to study at Pratt Institute (from London, that is). How is life at Pratt? If there's any advice you have please don't hesitate to send it my way!