Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Simple Things








Recently, I discovered a wonderful quotation written in the signature portion of a colleague's e-mail message. "Teach us to delight in simple things." (Rudyard Kipling)

Kipling's words immediately made me think about the art of photography. Our camera lenses allow us to really see the world around us. Photography provides us with so many opportunities to appreciate the world around us that may otherwise go unnoticed: a child's tiny fingers, a beautiful sunset, shadows from a tree, the light in an elderly person's eyes, or a colorful peacock feather. And the list goes on.



The photo above is entitled "Ice Princesses". I still remember the day I took it with my trusty Canon point-and- shoot digital camera. I was amazed by just how beautiful weeds could look with ice on them. I really liked the muted colors against the white background.


I have a list of simple things that I would like to photograph: berries encased in ice, my nephew's tiny fingers, an approaching thunderstorm, pumpkins in an autumn field, Nubble Lighthouse along the Maine coast, and snow covered trees lined up in a row.


"Teach us to delight in simple things." This is such a profound statement! Do you have a list of simple things that you would like to capture with your camera?


5 comments:

Pat said...

This post reminds me of Freeman Patterson's book, Photographing the World Around You. He speaks of simple things--boots, doors, glass, etc.

I would like to capture facial expressions that speak to me, baby's toes and fingers, tiny flowers, blades of grass, tire marks in the snow and mushrooms. That's the beginning of my list, Kathy!

Thanks for reminding us today of the "Simple Things" of life.

Kaycee said...

I will have to reread that book, Pat. Freeman Patterson really makes us think about what is around us. Great list!

Anna Ridley said...

How true that is, Kathy -- the simple things in life often provide such joy and pleasure. Photography has opened up my eyes to this, and I try to find beauty and interest even in mundane objects.

Another thought-provoking post. I really need to read that book!

CG said...

I must read that book! Maybe I should order it from the library!!

I like to photograph little flowers too.

Kaycee said...

CG and AB, you will really like the books! Thanks for the recommendation, Pat!