Saturday, July 7, 2007

Saturday in the Park




We are fortunate to have several parks here in Utica, a small city in Central New York State. These parks were constructed during the Great Depression of the 1930's. It was a very difficult time in our nation's history because many people (including my grandparents) were out of work due to the stock market crash. So, the government provided people with such jobs as building and maintaining these parks.




I like to wander around these parks with my camera. The above photo shows Proctor Park. It is lush and green. This park includes walking trails, stone bridges, a stream, and benches underneath shady trees.




I make this photo using my trusty Canon point-and-shoot camera, a Hoya R72 filter and a tripod. I am fascinated with this type of infrared photography because I love the strong contrasts as well as the magical quality. The trees look fantastic when they look full and snowy white.




I would like to do some more infrared photography. It takes a lot of practice and experimentation to get it just right. I just wish that I could get a print of this photo that I am happy with.




Has anyone else had any experience with infrared photography?

3 comments:

CG said...

Beautiful work, Kaycee, I would love to try this. Parks are such important spaces in our busy world xx

inspired said...

Kool ;o]

Anna Ridley said...

I love this shot - infrared is something I really want to try out one day.

Have a "gift" for you on my blog today :)

xoxox