Wednesday, July 4, 2007

My Homeland




Happy Fourth of July! Today we are celebrating the birth of our nation. Yes, it is a day filled with picnics, barbecues, and fireworks. In my heart and mind, however, it is much, much more.


My ancestors came to this land in order to build better lives, especially my Italian an Irish ancestors. Their lives and examples serve as a lasting legacy to me and my family. They left us with so many lasting gifts: the pursuit of a better life, the value of education, the bonds of family, and, of course, freedom.


And during these days when terrorism is such a threat, I like to remember of the good things about this country: the hard working, patriotic citizens who are working to make a better life here, the freedoms we still enjoy as well as the beauty of the diverse parts of our nation.


I really like this song by Lee Greenwood. It is entitled "God Bless the USA". It has help us through some dark days in this nations history, especially after September 11, 2001. For me, it sums of the meaning behind the 4th of July, too.


Here is a link to the song: http://users.1st.net/teddi/index30.htm





1 comment:

CG said...

Happy 4th July Kathy {{HUGS}} You are very special