Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Keys to Creativity


As we begin the second day of 2008, it seems that all is back to the regular daily routine. The magic of the holiday season is over and winter is here to stay with a vengeance here in Central New York State. (The freshly fallen snow looks lovely, but it is only 11 degrees F this afternoon and the temperature continues to fall!)
I usually do not look forward to this time of the year because I can't seem to find many things to look forward to during the bleak winter months. The joy of the holiday season is over and work is filled with many tasks to accomplish. And spring, with its glorious light, seems like it light years away.
But this morning I decided to focus upon other thoughts. I just want to look at daily life and discover creative sparks that will hopefully fill my imagination.
As I prepared my lesson plans for the students in my school library, I rediscover one of my keys to creativity: children's literature. One of my passions in life is sharing outstanding children's books with my students. In turn, I have found that some children's books are so artistically done that they serve to spark my imagination as well.
The book that brought this idea to my mind was Owl Moon by Jane Yolen and illustrated by John Schoerr. Author Yolen's text is so descriptive that the reader can just picture discovering that snowy owl. I love sharing such passages as "the snow was brighter than milk in a cereal bowl" with my students. (Some of my students are "city kids" and have never seen an owl, but Jane Yolen's writing makes this come alive for them.) The illustrator, John Schoerr, used muted shades of blues, browns, and greens among the winter white in order to beautifully enhance the book. He won the Caldecott Medal (an American award given to one children's book illustrator per year) for his outstanding an magical illustrations. You can find out more about Jane Yolen by visiting her website at www.janeyolen.com
An now I am remind about how much I turn to children's literature for ideas and inspiration! These appealing masterpieces provide me with ideas for photography and craft projects. Somehow, my winter photos reflect my appreciation for books such as Owl Moon. I now observe and use colors, shapes, and lines differently. I try to really "see" what I would normally just have given a passing glance.
Yes, I can provide you with many other examples of fine children's literature titles, but I thought that Owl Moon would provide a perfect example. Why not try discovering these gems, whether they be classics or current bestsellers? You may even find a creative spark. And remember the words of Thomas Carlyle: "The best effect of any book is that it excites the reader to self activity."
And so I will continue to find creativity within everyday activities. I wonder what I shall find?

1 comment:

CG said...

A wonderful post, and one of my favourite pictures. thanks Kathy :)