Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pretty Petals


Spring has finally returned to this part of New York State. The flowers seem to be blooming later this year, but the daffodils and tulips are now in full bloom. And what a joy it is to see these miracles of nature!

Recently, I was out with my camera as the late afternoon sun was shining through a group of gorgeous tulips. I just sat and marveled at the way the light danced through and among this lively group.

I decided that I wanted to do something a little different when photographing tulips. My goal was to make some creative photos using a limited depth of field. I also wanted to retain the rich flower colors. So, I used my macro lens (60mm) and focused on the front petal. I was able to get the very front petal to be in focus while blurring the rest of the flower and background.

I was pleased with the results. I don't think that every photographer would appreciate this style, but I was excited because I was able to work with color, composition, and the camera's settings. What do you think about this image?

3 comments:

Anna said...

I think the colors are amazing. I like what you did...that's thing thing about photography....is there ever a wrong way? :)

CG said...

it's so alive!! it's good to experiment!

Anna Ridley said...

Gorgeous vivid colour, and great creativity. I love experimenting too, and digital makes this so easy to do - no real costs. Keep creating Kathy, I so enjoy your work!

xoxoxo