Monday, January 15, 2007

Don't Let The Light Go Out!



Do you ever wonder about the time period into which you were born? I often do. I was born just four months after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. so eloquently proclaimed his "I Have a Dream" speech to a quarter of a million people in Washington, DC. President John F. Kennedy was assassinated less than one month before I was born. Somehow, I think that those turbulent, yet life-affirming times provided me with inspiration for my own life's journey.

Today, here in the United States, we honored the life and achievements of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Although I was too young to recognize the contributions of this great man while he was alive, his legacy lives on and his words speak to me. Dr. King was a man who followed "the light" and demonstrated that each one of us has the goodness and power to change the world.

I believe that I decided to "follow the light" when I became a Librarian and started to work with children of all ages, backgrounds, and believe systems. My purpose is to show my students ways to better lives by helping them to appreciate and receive life lessons through literature. In addition, I chose to be a school librarian because, in my mind, education does make a difference. I strive to teach my students to live by the values that Dr. King gave to the world.

And, although it has been almost 40 since Dr. King's untimely death, his words, deeds, and legacy lives on. I offer the above photo of the peace lily in hopes that his words will continue to inspire others. Dr. King said, "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

I also believe that our art of photography can serve to bring us all together. As photographers from around the globe, we seek, use, and appreciate the light in symbolic ways. We can use our photographic talents to make the world a better place in which to live, work, and dream. Whether our photographs show the beauty of nature or the awe in a child's face, we can use them to make a difference in our world. The light will not go out if we do this. "Don't let the light go out! It's lasted for so many years. Don't let the light go out! Let it shine through our love and our tears.) (Lyrics from Peter, Paul, and Mary).

3 comments:

Pat said...

What an inspiration, Kathy! Love your photograph too. Looks like a candle. How ingenious!

I'm so enjoying your writings each day and I find that I'm looking forward to coming to your blog just to be inspired!

Thank you for this.

CG said...

Although we've known each other a long time I'm seeing new depths to you in this blog; today's entry moved me to tears.The photo is lovely too.
love and hugs,
J x

Kaycee said...

I have to say that I really enjoy writing in my blog each day. I am finding that the photographs provide me with the inspiration to write about my life (as well as life in general.) And it is a blessing to know that you enjoy reading my blog, Pat and CG!

Tomorrow's entry will show the sweeter side of life. I promise!